KickSomeAsphalt

Friday, May 11, 2007

Can't we all just get along?

I don't understand.

I don't understand why people insist upon perpetuating the mountain biking vs. road riding thing. They're different, but both are great. They're both fun. They're both hard. They each have their own challenges and rewards. Many people who I know who do both, myself included, prefer one over the other, but enjoy both.

Why the intolerance? Why do some people who only participate in one of the two feel the need to belittle the other? I don't get it. What's the point? Aren't we all doing basically the same thing? We love to ride our bikes. Some of us on the road, some on the trails and some like it both ways. Yeah, go ahead and have fun with that. ;)

I'm fed up with some of the crap I've been hearing lately about how a paved climb can't be "hard" because it's paved. If you want a "hard" hill, you need rocks and sticks and things that move underneath your wheels." I readily acknowledge that mountain biking climbs can be absolutely freaking hard if not impossible. That's cool. There are some climbs that I can do now that took me a couple of seasons of trying before I could ride them all the way up. I appreciate that. But, don't try to tell me that a road hill can't be hard because it's paved. Sorry, but that's bulls**t. Maybe I should send him on hill ride with KL or my friend Doug. Both on and off road hills can be hard, just in different ways.

I get upset when the debate goes in the other direction as well, it's just that this rant comes after an annoying exchange with a mountain biker who thinks he knows everything and that roadies don't know what 'hard' is. Argh.

Seriously, how hard is it to get along???

4 Comments:

  • i think it is founded on the human limitations... of pride...

    some roadies don't like mt bikers cause those roadies know they are only superior on two wheels on pavement...

    and v/v

    i dunno...

    i've always found it pretty funny and inexplicable...

    but i've always had a mt bike slight bent even tho i'm nearly 100% road outside of cross season when i'm almost 100% cross...

    *shrug*

    one of those things us two wheeled folks need to work out to take on the 4 wheeled folks...

    By Blogger gewilli, at 3:38 PM  

  • Mountain bikers are dirty hippie doo doo heads.

    Just kidding. Only Willi is. but not so much since he got his hair cut.

    Michelle, are you still involved in Prep School cycling?

    I'd like to talk to you about it. I'm trying to get my old school to revive the cycling team...

    cheers,

    Bruce

    By Blogger Il Bruce, at 1:37 PM  

  • Bruce,

    I am still involved with cycling and mountain biking at NMH. Our cycling program is still only recreational (though I would like to see that change) but our mountain biking program does have a competitive component to it. There are several races each fall where "local" private schools compete.

    At which school are you trying to revive the program?

    By Blogger Michelle, at 9:48 AM  

  • MH,

    My school was Providence Country Day down here in Rhode Island. The team was a varsity sport from the early 70s up until everybody lost interest around 1996.

    I met a member of teh school's board at a bike club cook out and she was interested in looking into making an argument for cycling as a club activity.

    The current AD is not fond of sports without spheres or spheriods. But he supposed to retire this summer.

    I'd like to get an overview on what is going on at other schools to make a pitch to the board.

    Cheers,

    Bruce M

    brucevelo (at) yahoo

    By Blogger Il Bruce, at 8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home