KickSomeAsphalt

Friday, May 05, 2006

I Think I'm a Little Scared...

Tomorrow is Jiminy Peak. I love this race. It's always a difficult one that takes me to my limits. Every year, I do better than the previous year. This year, I'm not so sure. The women's fields are combined this year so the 4s will be riding with the 1/2/3 field. There are 106 of us pre-reg'd to participate in the chaos. That's the biggest women's field I will have participated in.

The biggest field I've raced in to date is the bike leg of the Josh Billings Run Aground which is a triathlon that begins with a mass start bike race. The year I did it, they staged everyone with a USCF license in the front and then lined up everyone else behind us. Well, that didn't help a whole lot. There were maybe 75 - 100 licensed racers and about 500 unlicensed. Yep. 600 people on bikes with vastly varying skill levels. I survived it, but it was close. I was nervous until I hit the transition area to pass off the wrist band to the paddlers. I still remember, way too vividly, riding by a CCB rider who was laying in the road out cold and very bloody. Eek. I really hope that we don't have any major (or even minor) mishaps tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home