KickSomeAsphalt

Monday, May 01, 2006

At Long Last...

A new entry. OK, so I've been less than diligent in keeping an up to date blog, but now that more than one person is actually reading it, I have a little more incentive to not be so lame. At least now I have something to actually write about. Racing has started. I was disappointed with the first two weekends of racing. I had high expectations of myself and I felt that I had not raced to my full potential. Freaking cold... still can't get rid of the sore throat.

Anyway, I finally had a good weekend at Sturbridge and Palmer. I did the 1/2/3 race at Palmer with the goal of just trying to ride a smart race and stay towards the front. I did that and did so comfortably. I actually finished with some gas left in the tank. I felt like I had been challenged, but not was not completely spent. On Sunday, I decided to do the 3/4 race at Palmer. I had it in my mind all week long that I would do the 1/2/3 race on Saturday for the experience and then do the 3/4 race on Sunday to win. Like a dumbass, I shared this plan with too many people. When Sunday rolled around, I had no choice but to go out and win. I had to back up my talk with some good legs. Needless to say, I was a little nervous because I was worried about looking/sounding like an idiot if I didn't win. I had two teammates in the race with me. We came up with plans A and B. A was for me to get into a break if one went and B was to set me up for the sprint otherwise. Now, we all know that I suck at large field sprints so I was hoping for Plan A. So, needless to say, Plan A failed. Everything was pulled back. I did launch one attack on a hill in the second lap to try and thin the field out some, but I don't think I accomplished that. Oh well. So, on the finish climb, I found myself boxed in and apparently expressed my disgust/angst out loud as several people reported hearing me yell that I was stuck. Anyway, I could see Jen just ahead of me on the right. All I had to do was find a way to get on her wheel. I found a small opening and jumped in behind her. Once safely tucked in behind her I yelled to her to go and did she ever. Damn! She powered through and got me clear and launched me up for a long sprint. I think I actually had an advantage in going early since it seems that everyone else was waiting for someone else to make the move. Since I took the line of the gutter, no one was right on my wheel. I saw the finish line and just kept turning the pedals determined not to be passed, and I made it. Phew! Aside from being psyched, I was so relieved. I don't think the outcome would have been the same had I not been helped out by Jen's rock star leadout. It was awesome. So, hopefully there ends my 3/4 career. Hopefully Diane will agree to send me a little sticker to put on my license. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home